|“||I worried that my home, Exhibition, would share the fate of Hole Station. But within that nightmare, I met a young survivor, who was very brave, and very talkative.||„|
— Level description
Artyom will have to carry Sasha on his back while navigating through lurker infested areas. This can prove difficult in some situations, as Sasha will make it more difficult for the player to focus their view on enemies due to his weight., therefore it will be harder to aim. While Artyom can't sprint, and his weapon "floats" longer, Sasha is a moderately valuable asset because he frequently alerts the player as to when lurkers are approaching. Once Artyom makes it to the end of the level they can receive a reward: either a bundle of military-grade bullets or a moral point.
The player can then prepare at the makeshift market before heading outside for the trip towards the radio tower and Black Station. Filters are not available from here so players are advised to keep an eye out for them on the surface in next mission, Outpost.
- In the book, a similar situation is encountered by Artyom at Kievskaya, where a resident's son, here called Oleg, is kidnapped by the Great Worm Children. Artyom attempts to rescue Oleg and is captured, only finally being freed by Melnik and his Stalkers. Oleg then joins the party, only to be consumed later by the creature of the Kremlin.
- At the end of the level when a man is telling Artyom about Nazi soldiers on the surface, he tells Artyom "Good luck to you, ranger", as Artyom is mistaken for a ranger due to his good nature. At that time Artyom is not a ranger yet.
- Sasha references the Great Worm Children, saying that his mother told him "If Children go too far into the tunnels, the mutants will catch them and eat their brains, then they'll become mutants too!" This could be referring to how the Great Worm Children kidnapped and hypnotized young children.
- Sasha mentions certain lockers "the ones with the numbers" that contain ammunition. However there are no lockers in the game that would have a number on it. This is possibly a feature that was removed from the game but script still contains it.
- This oversight was rectified in Metro 2033 Redux, as Sasha no longer mentions the lockers with numbers on them.