The DShK 12.7mm Machinegun (Дегтярёва-Шпагина Крупнокалиберный or Degtyaryov-Shpagin Large-Calibre) was a Soviet heavy machine gun developed in the middle of the 20th century. It is seen as an emplacement weapon throughout the Metro.
The DShK machine gun is normally employed at checkpoints or heavy defensive positions as a way of dissuading attackers and dealing with mutants, infantry and vehicles alike. It is the single heaviest weapon in Metro 2033 in terms of damage, exceeding that of the Abzats.
Tactics and Use
The DShK machine gun is an incredibly powerful, albeit situational, weapon. It is capable of killing any human opponent and almost any mutant with a single shot.
Its strengths, however, are offset by a few limitations. The machine gun is immobile and cannot be moved from its original location. It has a limited amount of ammunition on most occasions and overheats fairly quickly during continuous firing, though its temperature can be monitored by the thermometer attached to the right side of the weapon. The DShK in game has average rate of fire but with a large cone of fire, which can cause a lot of misses. To control the recoil, firing it in bursts or in single shot is advised; this also keeps the gun from overheating. Only fire in full-auto when attacking vehicles or strong enemies.
The weapon is used at various times during the Metro 2033 campaign and is used by Artyom to great effect against both humans and mutants. There are DShKs seen in Metro: Last Light, however none are useable or used - this is likely because the role of a heavy machine gun was replaced by the Gatling.
Variants and Obtaining
|DShK: A standard DShK with iron sights.
|Kill 15 enemies using a stationary machine gun.|
- Several of the machine guns seen in the games have mounted searchlights, including the ones mounted on railcars.
- Its nickname is the "Dushka", means "baby", or "sweetie" in Russian.
- On average, there are 50 rounds in each ammo box.
- The flamethrower on the level Dark Star was originally intended to be a machine gun, and Miller refers to it as one in the original Russian dub.
- In practical terms, the temperature gauge measures the temperature of the barrel. Overheating the barrel can cause the weapon to accidentally discharge, the barrel to warp, and even cause it to melt. Given current conditions in the Metro, these gauges are most likely meant to remind operators to fire in bursts so as to preserve the overall lifespan of the weapon, and the valuable 12.7x108mm ammo.
- The DShK in Trolley Combat has a unique heat meter, like the one found on the flamethrower.
Metro: Last Light
- The DShK uses the same ammo box as the Gatling.
- In Metro: Last Light, two mounted DShKs can be seen in the Revolution level, like many others the Reds seem to use them to defend their base station.
- In Metro: Last Light, instead of the DShK, the Gatling is used by numerous factions. The reason they are rarely used is due to a lack of ammunition, not the weapon itself. Therefore, if the need to use the valuable rounds does arise (such as the Battle of D6), it seems like it would be better to use the pre-war manufactured weapon, as opposed to the Metro made Gatling.
- The DShK is still in use in Metro: Last Light however, but only found on vehicles. It is possible that the soldiers on the frontline prefer an automatic weapon that uses the powerful 12.7x108mm round, but with better mobility, like the Gatling.
- The weapon can be seen multiple times in Metro Exodus, but is not usable and is not seen used outside of the Hanza's patrol train.
- One can be found in the abandoned station inside the metro train early during the Moscow level, some can be seen inside exhibition both mounted for defense and on tables next to belts of ammo. Dozens can be seen outside the Yamantau Bunker mounted on vehicles ranging from buses to rail carts and a few can be found in Novosibirsk including one that Miller will remark on when passing.
|Weapons of Metro 2033|
DShK 12.7mm Machinegun • Flamethrower
|Weapons of Metro Last Light and Metro Redux|
DShK 12.7mm Machinegun