The Metro universe is born in the aftermath of nuclear war between Russia and an unknown number of other countries. In the nuclear exchange, the surface of Moscow has become heavily irradiated. The lethal radiation levels have produced horribly mutated creatures who roam the surface of Moscow. Seeking shelter from the nuclear wasteland, the surviving humans retreated into the Moscow Metro, where they have eked out a living for several years. But the tunnels of the Metro are home to even more dangerous mutants that threaten to exterminate the remnants of civilisation.
Videogame default canon
Moral ending canon
The main canonical series is authored or co-authored by Dmitry Glukhovsky.
- Metro 2033, the novel first released online in 2002 and first printed in 2005.
- Metro 2034, the sequel first released in 2009.
- The "Ranger" ending of Metro 2033, the video game re-creation of the novel, released in 2010.
- The "Redemption" ending of Metro: Last Light, the sequel to the video game Metro 2033 released in 2013.
- Metro 2035, the novel set after Last Light and published in 2015.
- Metro Exodus, the third instalment in the game series.
Series of Suspect Canon
The series of suspect canon are stories that have not been written by Dmitry Glukhosvky, but have been approved by him and acknowledged as set within the universe of the franchise. Views on whether these works should be considered part of the official canon differ among fans.
- The Universe of Metro 2033 book series.
The non-canonical content has not been written by Dmitry Glukhosvky and it consists of stories that reimagine his novels and invent extended endings for them, as such they cannot exist within the same universe.
- The "Enlightened" ending of Metro 2033, the video game re-creation of the novel, released in 2010.
- The "C'est La Vie" ending for Metro Last Light.
- Any fan fiction not part of the Universe of Metro 2033 series.
- The Metro 2033: Wars mobile strategy game developed by DaSuppa Studios.
- The Metro 2033 (VK) browser game developed by Кефир! Studio from Volgograd.