|Positive Moral Point sound: ||Negative Moral Point sound: |
Metro Video Game Series that follows Artyom's progress and affects the ending of each game. This system is never explained to the player and its mechanics can only be speculated about. As Metro is about Artyom's journey and him seeking to understand the world around him, the game rewards the player by guiding Artyom through experiences that help him better understand the metro and its strange phenomena.
It is commonly understood that every time Artyom gets a moral point, the screen flashes light blue and whispers or the sound of water dripping can be heard. When Artyom loses a moral point, the screen darkens and an ominous sound can be heard. There are more opportunities to gain moral points than to lose them, and moral points that are gained and lost are speculated to vary in severity. Moral points can be gained through making morally correct decisions, being stealthy in certain levels, but can also be awarded for exploring every part of the map to get weapons and supplies. The best way to gain moral points is to knock out enemies and spare lives when possible - doing so will almost always activate the good endings.
There is no telling how many moral points are required to get the good ending since the statistics are hidden; however, making wrong choices or going loud in the levels that require stealth will likely cause the player to not gain enough moral points to trigger the good ending.
Artyom has not left Exhibition station since his childhood and does not know anything about the world outside VDNKh. If the player pokes around corners, eavesdrops dialogues and explores the levels Artyom learns how this new world works and manages to make a decision based on this knowledge. In other words he achieves a different Enlightened ending, as opposed to the Ranger one in which he blindly follows his orders.
Moral points have not changed from Metro 2033. This time around, Artyom is much more experienced, so moral points are earned based on whether or not he does the right thing. They are earned the same way as in Metro 2033, i.e listening to certain dialogue, performing kind or merciful acts, finding certain hidden areas, etc. Sufficient moral points will unlock the Redemption ending, where Artyom earns forgiveness for his past, as opposed to the standard C'est la vie ending where Artyom sacrifices himself for the Metro.
Moral points return in Metro: Exodus. As with the previous games, Artyom is awarded points for doing good deeds or doing certain deeds. Unlike its predecessors, listening in on conversations does not affect morale, and instead can be used by the player to gain locations to stashes.
List of Moral Points in Metro 2033Edit
Note: In Metro 2033 Redux, some points are no longer available. Also, because of the inclusion of the knock out ability, points for not killing anyone can be obtained along with other points that involve taking out certain enemies. These points are incompatible in the original game.
- After coming up the stairs, talk to the guard that tells you another patrol was attacked after he sits down.(:"Many want to leave the station...")
- Talk to the people in line before the hospital.(:"Doctor hasn't said anything.")
- Talk to the girl sitting on ground next to the people in line. She will first say "We just have to hope." Then give her a few seconds and talk to her again and she will say (:"Leave me alone".) Walk away like she asks and get a moral point.
- Talk to the guard that opens the door to the hospital after he sits down.(:"People want to see their relatives.")
- Walk under the light on the right in the first room of the hospital. In Metro Redux, this point is moved to a corner accessible just before exiting the room. There is a torn fabric curtain on the right-hand side which you can walk through, leading to another torn fabric right in front of you. Walk through both these 'curtains' to find sick NPC characters and obtain the moral point.
- Take the postcard from Hunter. If you weren't standing close enough to Hunter to take the postcard, he will leave the postcard at his left side. Pick it up to gain the moral point.
- Play the guitar in Artyom's room.
- Play the balalaika (triangle guitar) near the father and the child drawing on the floor.
- Approach the man and woman sitting in the general market area with a teddy bear between them. As soon as the woman stops talking, you'll be able to talk to the man. He'll tell you about his sick child and asks you for a few bullets. Give them to him. You will lose about 2 MGRs.
- Open the door to Alex's room, prompting his dialogue.
- Exhaust all of Alex's dialogue options.
- Take the MGR from the hat next to the man playing the guitar.
- There are two men sitting on a table just right from the table with the drunk man who is being scolded by his wife. If you talk to them, they'll start talking about some business. If you talk to them again, it will count as interrupting their business and you will lose a moral point. Because you can't actively engage in conversations in Metro 2033 it's best you avoid that area or you might lose a point accidentally. There's nothing interesting there anyway. (This one does not occur in 2033 Redux. The conversation still happens, but bothering doesn't give a bad point)
- Give a bullet to one of the beggars located all over the place. It is only effective once.
- Give a bullet to the kid to guide you to Bourbon. Note: Even if you have no MGR left but still enter the command to give him bullets, you will receive a moral point and the child will reluctantly guide you to Bourbon. Also if you first refuse to give the boy a bullet, you will still be able find him after he has run off and get the point. This is useful if you want to get the achievement Realist as well as the moral point.
- Find Bourbon without the kid. This only triggers once you find him, not if you initially refuse the kid.
- Disturbing the man sleeping located near the kid that guides you to Bourbon if you don't give him the bullet.
- When Bourbon talks about strange sounds and pipes, crouch next to the pipe on the right side of the tunnel until you hear laughter.
- After listening to the pipes, go left into the room where the dead body with the Tihar lies. Going back and listening again to the pipes for some more seconds will hurt you (this doesn't happen in Redux) and give you a moral point (same procedure as in "Khan"). Probably it's just a bug, but offers a moral point.
- Get into the first train car you encounter by jumping on the box on the left side. Inside there will be a box you can open with some dolls. Use one of dolls to make noise and you will get moral point (In Redux, no moral point is given).
- After a fight with some mutants, Bourbon will spot a Hanza railcar, informing you that they are looking for the bandits, and instructs you to hide. Crouch next to him and wait for the railcar to pass without being noticed for the point.
- Get noticed by the Hanza railcar.
- Use the hookah in the bar (unavailable in Redux).
- Give a bullet to the beggar who tells the story to the kid in the market area after the kid leaves.
- In the first area, go up the stairs on the left. Follow the watcher that runs away and look out of the window it escaped through.
- After this, go to the room at the end of the balcony which contains a safe (only available in Redux).
- In the building you go into after you and Bourbon become separated, on the top floor jump down into the elevator to find a secret cache with a Tihar.
- During the vision of a playground when outside, as long as you don't move (you can look around)
- Also during the same vision if you take off your gas mask you will receive a moral point (not available in Redux).
- After the above vision you eventually enter a building and go down some stairs. At the end turn right and go all the way to the end and you'll find another secret cache.
- When you go out of the leftmost window of this building to proceed further, look right and down. There will be some wooden planks leading to a narrow path just above the water. Follow it to find a body.
- At the area where there is demon feasting on a corpse, enter the building leading to Dry and take a right through the trap filled hallway and play the tape in the cache.
- Run out or completely across, or open fire during the playground vision.
- Shoot the dark one sitting on the shed on the other side of the playground after the vision.
- Shooting the dark one looking at a dead stalker on the other side of a gate (where you find Bourbon in Dead City 2).
- After you meet the demon feasting on a corpse, if you take a hard right and enter the building on your left, you will lose a moral point if you kill the Watcher Mother. In Redux, if she does so much as to leave her position, you will lose the point just as well, so if you want to get the goods sitting on the floor nearby, you may want to be fast and not get too close.
- Using the hookah to smoke within the crate maze on the left yields a moral point.
- Do not kill anyone at this level (this will most likely conflict with the above as the hookah is right next to a bandit. In Redux, you can just knock the guy out).
- Shooting Bourbon's dead body.
- When Khan tells you about the singing pipes, crouch near them and wait till you hear laughter. Then move away, if you stay near the pipes for too long you will get hurt.
- When you reach the ghosts of the defenders, stay close behind Khan as you move through. On the other side, keep following him until he mentions he was with them when they died and only he survived.
- After you leave the tunnels, Khan will curse while in one of the rooms. In this room, there is a body hidden behind some barrels (look for the blood marks on the floor to find it easily)
- Opening fire on ghosts (in Redux, when the ghosts are around, opening fire or throwing/slashing knife will trigger moral point loss even if you don't hit the ghosts directly, however throwing grenade doesn't trigger moral point loss).
- Stop when Khan tells you to and don't move (you can look around) until he starts talking again.
- After moving a bit forward, you will hear a nosalis growl, then see the anomaly moving fast toward it in the adjacent tunnel. As soon as you hear the growl, stop and don't move until Khan starts talking.
- After you jump into area where you will fight nosalis, go to the right to the dead end area where the nosalis will be coming from, check the dead body behind box at the right wall.
- After the fight with the nosalis, Khan will enter a train car. Straight out from the back of this car is a dead end with glowing mushrooms and stalagmites. There is a partial skeleton on the ground there that will award a moral point when approached.
- Move when second anomaly appears.
- You get a point for showing up, and listening to Khan when he explains the situation.
- Run away before Khan finishes talking.
- Any type of hostile action in the shrine (e.g. Even slashing the knife).
- Sneak up to the back of the train you fell out of upon the start of the level and finish listening to the communist leader's speech. After you get the point start backing away or they will spot you. It is recommended to put out the lamp leading up to the train on the left.
- In the dead end tunnel through which the player arrives at the start of the level, kill or avoid the patrolling Communists. On the right side of the tunnel, almost at the end, there is a small red wall box - pick up the MGR inside for a moral point.
- Just left from the train car go down the stairs and listen to two guards talking about the secret entrance to the enemy base.
- Prevent the commissar and the soldier executing a Communist "deserter".
- Go to the opposite direction of the deserter execution area until you find a stairs, go up the stairs a bit to listen to a soldiers conversation about suicide bombers.
- Up the aforementioned stairs, go deeper into the tunnel and away from the commie barricade, past the two wounded men. On the right side of the tunnel there will be an open door. Go inside and all the way down until you reach a body with an automatic shotgun (In Redux, you will find a safe box and a bastard rifle, and you have to disable the electric current with the circuit box left of the stairs in the tunnel).
- In the bottom of the front line (below the bridge), where Artyom must use the gas mask, there will be pile of wreckage with a buried body's protruding arm holding MGR, take rounds for a moral point. The arm holding the bullets is in the center of the pile. The pile is at the bottom of the shaft of light shining through a gap in the bridge.
- In the Nazi part of the level, downstairs there's a room containing a couple of guards and a Helsing spear gun. In one of the corners (near the manhole) there's a small red locker. Open it and collect the contained ammo to get a moral point. You will see a drawing inside. The sound of the door creaking also alerts the guards, making it practically impossible to get this point if you want to do the level completely stealthy.
- In Redux, the small locker is located near the prison with three captured prisoners inside.
- The last moral point is awarded for freeing the three captured Communists in the Nazi part of the map, in the area after the rail car. To free them you need to kill all the Nazis here except the one at the very end of the tunnel. You'll know it's done when their leader will stand up (The Nazi soldier will execute the leader if you wait too long when you get there). Talk to him. Killing the Nazis will prevent you from getting the stealth achievement for this level.
- In Redux, the prisoners are now located at the red locker from the previous moral points. The Nazi can also be knocked out in Redux, making it possible to earn the final point for not killing anyone.
- Alternative: Complete the level without getting in a fight and you achieve a moral point (and the stealth achievement). The other side of the medal is that you can´t free the imprisoned communists and leave out the metal locker. In the Redux version, this point can be obtained if enemies are knocked out instead of being killed.
- Kill wounded men lying near the staircase (behind the bridge post)
- Kill one or more of the captured Communists
- In 2033 Redux, allow the Communist "deserter" to be executed or if you kill the deserter before you kill or knock out the executors.
- Pick up the message tape the captain gives you after the fight.
- As you come into the station, go straight and into the railcar. Walk through all of it and exit on the other side for a flash point (Look out for the tripwire inside). (Unavailable in Redux)
- Inside the first area of the station, go up the stairs into what looks like a hospital. Go in deep enough and you'll get your point. (Unavailable in Redux)
- As you're leaving the first area of the station and crossing over to the area where you need to use the gas mask, look left. There will be stairs blocked by grating. Go through the door on the right and there will be another set of stairs with grating, but here the door will be open. Go up and then left over a makeshift bridge to find a lot of goodies and another moral point. (Unavailable in Redux)
- In the previous moral point area, you can hear music being played below you. To reach it, backtrack into the hallway where you need the gasmask and go left until you reach another railcar sitting at a station. To your right is a metro tunnel with red light. Go left towards the dead end, where there is a dead body, some ammo and tape recorder playing music. You get a moral point when you get close.
- Refuse to take the reward from Sasha's mother at the very end of the level.
- After climbing out of the building you start in at the beginning of the level, on the surface you'll eventually reach a house full of Nazis. Climb all the way to the roof and play the tape you got from captain in Defense level.
- Completing this level without any enemy casualties will yield a moral point. You get this point when you meet up with Ulman at the end.
- Take the weapon given to you from Ulman in the beginning. (Unavailable in Redux)
- Listen to the two Nazis talk about moving to Hanza until they are done.
- In the next area, kill or sneak past the patrolling Nazi and go right. There will be two Nazis near the end of the hall. You will have to use a throwing knife or silenced weapon to take out the light in the hall or else they will see you. If you wait until they stop talking about morals, you will get a moral point.
- Sitting nearby when the Nazi commander commands two other guards to watch the generator
- Turning off the generator
- Listening to two Nazis talk about 'Metro 2' near the end of the level.
- Being nearby at the end of the level when the drunk Nazi is muttering to himself.
- There is a room under the main area where the Nazis are in mass. This room has boxes which must be scaled. Once scaled, you will get yourself a morality point and if you look at Charles Darwin's book you get another. (The second one is no longer available in Redux)
- After dropping into the tunnel where you need to wear a gas mask on the way to Ulman, keep an eye out for a blood stain on the floor that leads to a corpse on your left. Examine it for a point. (Unavailable in Redux)
- After meeting with Ulman and riding the metro cart for a while there will be a cutscene with a dark one, after the wall breaks and you are told to run, instead walk towards the dark one for a moral point.
- Fire a weapon while Ulman is talking to you at the very beginning of the level (right after he killed the guard).
- Run away from the Dark one during the dream sequence at the end of level.
- After talking to Miller and saying you are "ready", look behind you there is a bunch of soldiers and Khan, talk fully to Khan and you will get a moral point. In Redux, you may also talk to Khan before proceeding with Miller. In non Redux, it needs to be done before saying you are "ready".
- In the vision, approach the dark one when given a choice.
- In the vision, don't approach the dark one. Instead, go the opposite way.
- Do not take Boris' ammo or weapon after his death (not available in Redux).
List of Moral Points in Metro: Last LightEdit
A hidden negative moral point is secretly assigned to the player if violently belligerent in action in relation to the ghostly, unidentifiable attackers.
***Note: You can kill every human in the game and still get the good ending***
- Play the guitar in Artyom's room.
- Listen to the two Rangers near Artyom's room discussing the significance of D6.
- Just across the hall from Artyom's room listen to the guy playing the guitar for a minute.
- Listen to the conversation about Romanov in the break room. (Might not reward a point)
- Play the balalaika in the break room.
- At the first gun shop tinker with the guns and mods a few times to earn a moral point. (Might not reward point)
- In the shooting range after getting guns shoot the armored dummy in the head the first time before told to try a headshot. (Might not reward a point)
- Listen to the conversation in the kitchen.
- Listen to the radio operators in front of the briefing room.
- Walk to the back of the train you start the level on.
- At the ladder, continue past it, further into the tunnel. Burn some cobwebs to get to a corpse that also has the first note in Ashes.
- Staying near Anna until she begins climbing to her sniping position.
- At the first encounter with Watchmen, don't shoot and stay hidden until they notice you.
- Release the prisoners (this will also unlock achievement Freedom).
- Listen to all of the Fuhrer's speech.
- Kill the surrendering Nazi at the end of the chase.
- Don't kill the man reading on his bed after he surrenders.
- After exiting the first area of Nazis, kill the man reading on his bed after he surrenders.
- After Artyom exits the air vent, watch the scene where a Nazi beats his fellow soldier and calls his mother a whore.
- After the beating scene, listen to the conversation between two Nazis about stashed custom weapon.
- Follow the Nazi heading back to the locker room and when he opens his locker, knock/kill him and pick up the weapon (this will also unlock the achievement/trophy A Present, but not in Metro Last Light Redux).
- Listen to the conversation between two Nazis on the catwalk above the first room.
- Reach the plant growing room without killing said brutalized soldier in the meat storage.
- In the next area, there's a room filled with bathtubs. In the area beyond this, there's an air vent on the far side to the right, next to the guy in a chair. Enter it to get a point and there will be a supply crate on the left.
- In the room with water turbines there's two Nazis discussing the hanging of Pavel, listen to their whole conversation to get a point.
- Reach the sewer without killing any humans (this will also unlock achievement, if done without raising any alarms, Invisible Savior).
- Kill the Nazi that was locked in the meat storage.
- Just before the elevator at the beginning of the Spider tunnels, look to the left-hand side for a small nook hidden by cobwebs. Burn them away to find a small stash of ammo and a medkit next to two skeletons. Entering this nook earns a point.
- Entering the elevator with Pavel earns a point.
- Fending off the Spiders with Artyom's flashlight in the elevator earns a point.
- Quickly saving Pavel from the Spider attack just after exiting the elevator earns a point.
- Keep close to Pavel while he walks with the torch.
- In the elevator with Pavel, leave your flashlight off throughout the ride.
- Immediately after the elevator, leave your flashlight off and don't help Pavel when he is pinned by the Spider.
- In the beginning of the chapter after sliding down the wing and encountering sudden rain, turn left and look for a sewage pipe. Crawl in until you reach a room with a skeleton. The moral point is earned upon reaching the room.
- After encountering a huge sink hole, go to the tail end of the crashed blue plane on the left. There's another skeleton lying right in front of it. Reaching the skeleton earns a point.
- After searching the spider-infested skeleton, look right. There's a small caved-in room with some ammo and filters. Entering it earns a point.
- Taking the Duplet in the service room earns a point.
- Letting the Watchmen herd pass by without being spotted earns a point (this will also unlock achievement Mouse).
- Seeing all of the hallucinations of the first passenger section on the plane earns a point.
- Listening to Pavel after saving him earns a point.
- Shoot at the herd of watchmen.
- Right after passing through the first door, listening to the families (arriving by traincarts) trying to convince the guards to let them into the station grants you a moral point.
- Straight after this, listening to the couple from Reich talk about their escape yields a moral point. This is a reference to a quote from Martin Niemöller.
- Giving the theater critic-turned-beggar a bullet gets you a point. Giving the very same beggar another bullet after his speech earns another point.
- Listening to the two patrons at the bar discussing whether or not theater is useful in dark times earns a point.
- Listening to the two stalkers telling Katja that her husband, a fellow stalker, was killed by a Demon and informing her of his gravesite attack earns a point.
- Listening to a pair of women sitting on a bench opposite of Katja earns a point.
- Watching Mischa show the children animal impressions with shadows earns a point.
- Following the two children running back to the tracks, and listening to the arguing couple about joining the Army earns a point.
- Following the attendant at the theater into the market area, after he convinces the other tourist to buy the contraband earns a point.
- Watching the entire theater show earns a point (this also will unlock achievement Patron of the Arts).
- Listening to the dancing girl's entire conversation (about her makeup and boyfriend) grants you a moral point.
- After exiting the backstage area, at the end of the following hallway, to your right, listening to the girl in the shower talking to the girl in the bathtub grants you another point.
- Listen in on the conversation between Korbut and Moskvin.
- Get out of the storage room you start in at the beginning of this level and go downstairs to listen to the guard reporting in on the intercom.
- Listen to the two soldiers in the storage area talking about the Frontline mission from Metro 2033.
- Listen to the crane operators discussing moving radioactive materials.
- Do not disturb the men doing the service check and keep following them until they finish the four checking procedures and talk about a smoke break. Note: The workers may skip the 2nd service check and go straight for the 3rd, in which case it will render this moral point unavailable unless the player restarts the level.
- After the service check room and going through a big fan, listen to the conversation between two men right after climbing down the ladder.
- When you get to the area with the machine gun platform, listen to the conversation between the machine gunner and a soldier.
- In the room with the crane moving radioactive materials, shoot the non-soldier workers (for example, the worker using a jackhammer).
- After boarding Regina and exiting Andrew's home, look for the first doorway on the left. Entering the area with the lamp on the desk earns a point.
- After the previous area, again to the lefthand side of the tunnel, there is a door under a light with a mask and a filter next to it. Behind this door is a Spider nest. Entering it and finding the glowing red room at the end with a light switch earns a point.
- After the previous area, continue onward for a time before finding another doorway on the left which leads to a partly submerged area. At the end to the right is a room with some ammo, filters and a skeleton. Entering this room earns a point.
- After opening the airlock doors and entering a gas mask area, get out of Regina and turn the switch on the left to change the rail tracks to continue straight. Use Regina to smash the wooden barricade. Doing so earns a point.
- After driving into the snowy tunnel, walk into the left hand tunnel to the abandoned metro cars where a Watchmen ambushes you. Keep going all the way to a dead end where a skeleton can be found. Arriving at the end earns a point.
- Just before arriving at the abandoned metro cars you have to push forward with Regina, go to the right side of the tunnel where a gas mask hangs from the wall with a filter. Enter the passage there to earn a point.
- While pushing the metro cars forward with Regina, look for a passage on the left side of the tunnel. This area is filled with shadows and ghosts who whisper to Artyom. There is a moral point and a Valve waiting at the end of the room.
- Still while pushing the metro cars forward, on the right side is a sewer area with several Watchmen. Reaching the end near the skeleton wearing a gas mask earns a point.
- When Artyom first awakes, turn around and enter where Regina crashed. A point is earned after discovering the skeleton there. And there is a Shambler with Extended Barrel to take.
- After meeting the refugee caravan, wait and listen to all their conversations. A point is earned after a woman says her husband was drafted and then captured by Nazis.
- Continuing down the tunnel after the refugee caravan, the first tunnel on the right will lead to a series of abandoned metro cars. A woman is crying for help and about to be raped by two bandits. Kill/knock them out before they kill her to earn a point.
- Just before arriving at the main bandit camp where they're holding the woman and children, continue down the left-hand tunnel to a carriage with several corpses. Doing so earns a point.
- Rescue the women and children being held in the bandit camp. The point is earned when the bandit in the final room threatening them is killed or knocked out. If done in without raising the alarm, the achievement Commando is earned.
- One is earned at the end of the level after escaping the Shrimp.
- Give a bullet to a beggar near the market alley where two men are trying to push a pig in a crate onto a boat. (Giving a bullet to the guitarist nearby won't grant you another point.)
- Give a bullet to a second beggar near the market, this one in the alley where two children are drawing on the wall.
- Right after you give the bullet to the second begger, walk back out and right, go into the next area to your right and talk to the mayor dude and you get a point.
- Buy and drink the bartender's special, "The Bullet."
- If you drink a few more you'll blackout. When you come back the bar will be wrecked and the bartender will be pissed, if you pay him 100 MGR for the damage you'll get a moral point.
- Pay 10 MGR to use the shooting range.
- There is a child being comforted by his mother since he lost his teddy bear. If Artyom completes all the challenges at the nearby shooting gallery, he will be awarded said teddy bear. Return it to the crying child to receive the moral point (this will also unlock achievement Reunion).
- Complete the level without killing OR knocking out any bandits in the storage (i.e. the section must be completely ghosted).
- Taking the 20 MGR located on-board the boat of a sleeping fisherman. The boat is on the left corner of the dock. The Military Grade Rounds are accessible without actually stepping onto the boat and waking the tired fisherman.
- The final drink at the bar before passing out incurs a morality loss as of Last Light Redux version 184.108.40.206. It is not known if every morality loss/gain is a single point or if some instances are more than others, but if it's a 1:1 exchange, then this makes the 100 MGR property-damage point gain opportunity essentially just a way to recover the previously subtracted moral point.
- Explore all nine major shores of the swamp (player spawn, ruined buildings on the bottom left of the map, the demon on the bottom right, the storage yard, the ruined buildings to the left, the gas station, the fallen airplane, the demon at the top left, and the ferry). This moral point may be gained seemingly at random, sometimes by entering the derelict truck at the gas station, other times by entering the storage yard or ferry shore, and other times when just walking about.
- Just before Artyom meets his friends at the church, at the top of the escalators on the second floor of the destroyed mall. You encounter the mall after being chased by the Bog Shrimp. (ALL stashes/autosave locations prior to ascending the escalators must be visited for this point to trigger.)
- Just before entering the catacombs, there's a body near a table with a radio reaching for a tape recorder/player. Play the tape of the Ranger's last words regarding the Reds taking Anna into the catacombs for a point.
- After entering the catacombs and Artyom's electronics getting mysteriously disabled, there will be a few ghosts in a tunnel walking around. When the church bell is heard immediately stop and wait for them to disappear to earn a point.
- One is gained as Artyom is lowered deeper into the catacombs on the elevator just before the Nosalises attack.
- Turn the corner after the blue pools to see a Nosalis pack moving through the tunnels.
- A point can be earned if he lets them pass without attacking said pack.
- A point can be earned by entering the tunnel the pack had emerged from and approaching the small Christian shrine.
- After descending the small lift and encountering the winged Nosalises, a point can be earned by approaching a skeleton with a custom quadruple-barreled duplet near some spiderwebs.
- When fighting the Rhino, apparently you earn one point if you don't get hit by her at the first room (not checked if only first room or both).
- Shooting at the Nosalis pack after getting knocked off the elevator.
- Deal with the two Red Line soldiers executing citizens at the beginning, before the shot man dies.
- Listen to the shot man's explanation and confusion over the Red's attack. He will explain that the Reds came before anybody died of the Virus.
- In the room to the left of the railcar where the enemy loading boxes is coming and going, there is a hole in the back wall that leads to an abandoned tunnel. The hole is partially blocked but you can move left and out into the tunnel. Head straight across from the hole to the green light on the opposite wall and turn right, at the water line is an ammo cache. Open it. Note that there is an explosive tripwire trap on the non water path of the floor.
- Listen and watch the full execution of the wounded Red soldier who contracted the "disease."
- Go to the upper level of the apartments. In a room there will be a note for Artyom and some MGR. Picking up the MGR will give you a moral point.
- After hearing Lesnitsky speaking with another soldier and going through the shaft, you will be in a room where some plants are growing. Go up the stairs, and there will be a Red Line officer going over dead citizens of the station. Listen to what he says to gain a moral point.
- Remove your mask when Lesnitsky has his knife at Anna's throat, before he counts to five (this will also unlock achievement Savior).
- Reach Anna without killing any humans.
- Attacking Lesnitsky, when he has his knife at Anna's throat.
- Right after the furnace where bodies are being cremated, there is a doctor talking to a soldier who got infected trying to comfort infected children. Listen to their conversation all the way through for a point. (This doesn't work sometimes. It might be caused by a bug.The first 2 conversations must be heard completely for this point to trigger: sick father and daughter/pacing man and masked guard)
- Right after the section where the doctor is talking to the chief about the possibility of the virus being a bio weapon, there is a man on a gurney on the your right talking to a doctor about going home because he is sure that he only has a cold. Listen to the whole conversation to earn a point.(might not happen in redux for some reason)
- Pick up the four MGR stashes in the abandoned part of the station. The first is hidden behind the door where Artyom initially enters and can only be claimed once he proceeds down the stairs and the door closes. The second one is in the window to the left of the small water bridge and quarantine skull sign. The third is in a window at the beginning of the long corridor, look for a backside of a traincar near where the second MGR was found. The fourth and final piece is in a broken window on the right side of the long corridor, near where you first start heading down it.
- After meeting up with Khan there is a man asking the guard to let him go inside the quarantine zone and take some insulin. After he is refused, go up to him and he will ask you for help. He may not talk right away; just stand by his side and wait, and he will ask for help after a moment. Give him the bullets he needs.
- In the small market area, listen to the three soldiers gathered around a desk with a lamp discussing the Reds and Polis. (Unavailable in Redux)
- Answer the phone in the sewers.
- Reach the river of fate.
- One point is gained at the end of the chapter, when you pick up the Little Dark One and walk out of the burning train.
- After crossing the ice under a bridge, the Little Dark One will appear on top of a wrecked van next to a billboard and expresses his desire to wear human clothing; stay close to him.
- Up a small path and to the right of the aforementioned billboard is a dead Demon surrounded by dead Watchmen; walking up to the corpses earns a point.
- Just after the demon flies off, when entering the train the Little Dark One will appear with clothes. Do not shoot and stay close until he disappears. (Unavailable in Redux)
- At the end of the level the Little Dark One appears again; follow him to end the level and gain a point.
- Enter the small room to the left at the start.
- Just before the Little Dark One gives a second vision, look to the left. There is a broken ramp leading down to a small area beneath the bridge with a few corpses. Going down the ramp earns a point.
- Finish the level without killing any mutants (this will also unlock achievement Rain Man).
- After exiting the tunnel at the very beginning, stick to the left hand side. There is a garage with two closed doors, one open that has a truck poking out. Continue past this point to an entrance in the wall, then enter it. A building with a collapsed ceiling leads into the garage. Be careful as there is an explosive trap. It is also possible to climb over the front of the truck to enter the garage. Entering the garage earns a point.
- In the area where the Reds first stage an ambush, in the center of the room is a hidden passage that leads beneath the room. Entering it earns a point.
- In the third area where the Reds are waiting, there is another hidden passage near a big red door on the opposite side of the room in which you enter; there will be a circular manhole. There is a dead soldier at the bottom. Entering it earns a point.
- In the fourth area with Reds standing guard there is a secret area under the room's ground with a corpse; entering it will gain you a point.
- In the fifth area where the Reds are waiting with three to four snipers, there is a hidden passage that can be reached by the catwalks above the metro cars or by stairs at the back of the room. Entering this passage earns a point.
- Knocking Lesnitsky unconscious earns a point.
- Kill Lesnitsky.
- Do not kill the Watchmen in the area with the ladder that Artyom must climb. The point is earned at the top of the ladder. The Watchmen aren't hostile and leave a blue-green trail when the Little Dark One augments your vision.
- Do not kill the Demon on the rooftop protecting her nest, or her baby. You will gain the point after going down the stairs, and jumping through the hole in the floor.
- See all visions (this will also unlock achievement Back to the Past).
- Kill the Watchmen in the area with the ladder that Artyom must climb. Sometimes the Little Dark One says that they are just going somewhere.
- Kill the Demon of the rooftop protecting her nest. The Little Dark One will ask Artyom why he killed her.
- Killing the baby demon will lose another one and a remark of the Little Dark One if Artyom would do the same to him.
- At the beginning of the level when the Watchmen are growling from atop the Saint Basil's Cathedral, don't shoot at them. The point is earned as they begin to go inside. Climbing the staircase into the Cathedral to an area full of skeletons earns another point.
- While following the Little Dark One through the storm, Artyom will come across a Watchman kneeling over a skeleton. The Little Dark One will say he's simply afraid. Leaving him be will earn a point as soon as Artyom enters the next area.
- In the ruined sewer area, a group of three Watchmen will slowly approach, but again the Little Dark One says they won't attack unless provoked. Leaving them be will earn another point.
- In the same area, you can see a corpse down a hole. Reach it to gain another point, but taking too much time will cause the Watchmen to attack.
- Save Pavel from the damned souls. The Little Dark One will then remark that now he understands what forgiveness is.
- Enter the St.Basil's Cathedral before the Watchmen go away.
- Shoot at the Watchmen on St.Basil's Cathedral before they go away.
- Killing the Watchmen kneeling over a skeleton when following the Little Dark One through the storm.
- Leaving Pavel with the damned souls causes you to lose a point. The Little Dark One will tell you that he will remember that you couldn't forgive (this will also unlock achievement Revenge).
- Near the beginning of the level, there is a path leading towards a hole in the right-hand wall, into a flooded store with can alarms and a safe. Entering this area earns a point.
- At the same split where you can reach the flooded store, you can also turn left, crossing a log and a flooded pipe. Right after the pipe will be a tripwire; disarm it or avoid it, then crouch ahead and you will receive a moral point.
- Do not engage any watchmen and just sprint to the small passage to next area where Artyom must crouch. A moral point will be gained when you enter this passage. Just after a moral point is added, you will see baby Bears.
- Kill the Watchmen attacking the Bear after the fight with Artyom. Do so quickly or they'll kill her (this will also unlock achievement/trophy Forest Guardian).
- Shoot any Watchmen before Artyom must crouch to a small passage.
- Leave the clearing without harming the Watchmen on the Bear's back.
- After the Little Dark One grabs General Moskvin's hand, there's a dream sequence that requires you to open doors. Watch the scenes behind the doors until the door shuts itself. Although hard to tell (the room is red so you may only notice the sound of the point), You'll receive the moral point after the door closes on General Moskvin apologizing to a picture of his brother.
- One point is awarded if the Baby Dark One prompts the Redemption ending.
List of Moral Points in Metro: ExodusEdit
Note: Points listed as 'optional' are not part of the main story experience and are awarded to the player for exploring the several open-world maps.
- One is earned for sneaking unnoticed by the guards. Anna will thank you and call you a ninja once you are on the boat.
- On the south side of the church there is a blind woman, kill her to lose a point
- In a room at the church docks, a man will ask you to teach him how to worship the devil. Kill him to lose a point.
- In a room at the church docks, a man asks you to kill him because his son and daughter died. Kill him to lose a point.
Optional - The Mechanic Edit
- On your journey to the mechanic you might encounter bandits at their base built around an electricity pylon. They will be interrogating a prisoner from the cult. Freeing him before he is killed will earn a moral point. This may be done later when Idiot asks you to get a guitar for Stepan. If the player misses Idiot's dialogue, Stepan will radio Artyom asking him for the guitar.
- On your way to the Terminal, there is a large bandit hideout which Duke will point out once you meet him in his hideout. Clear it out and free the prisoners to earn a point.
Optional - Teddy Edit
- Retrieving Nastya's teddy bear from the Demon nest will earn you a point once you give it to her. Note: This may not happen.
Optional - The Paladins￼ Edit
- To the southwest of the Terminal is a trio of non-hostile fanatics, kill any of them to lose a point.
Optional - Bandit Camp Edit
- Not far to the east of the Paladins is a bandit camp, in the building with the dead bandits there's one survivor. Kill him to lose a point.
Tug Boat Edit
- One is earned if the player decides to stealth unnoticed by the guards. Doing so will prevent Duke from getting injured and Anna will thank you explaining no one got hurt. Moral point earned once you're inside the tug boat.
- You can knock out the guards without losing moral points.
- Once you reach the top floor of the bandit base with the antenna you will be attacked by Saul, Artyom will gain the upper hand and have the option to spare or kill him. Knock him out to gain a point. This character will approach Artyom some time after he has gone to sleep.
Note: For some reason, Saul only seems to approach Artyom when he sleeps in the car on the bridge near a demon's nest north of Anna's hideout.
- Kill Saul
- Upon arrival at the lighthouse bandits and slaves will be attacking Giul, killing all the bandits without killing any slaves will earn a point upon reaching the top of the lighthouse. Avoid being discovered while passing through the cave, or combat slaves will show up. After you reach the surface, anyone shooting at the lighthouse is a bandit.
- Right at the entrance to the caves (after you zipline inside) you will find an injured raider on the floor. Killing him deducts a point.
- In the gas tunnels there is an injured raider being dragged by a tribal. Killing the bandit will deduct a point, as will killing the tribal.
- Retrieve the family picture of Giul's family from Khakimova's corpse and give it to her.
Optional - Dismantled Boat Edit
- In the southeast of the map is a derelict boat being used as a slave prison (Anna will mark this location when Artyom meets up with her after retrieving the radiation maps). Pulling the lever inside the far end of the ship will release the slaves and give a point.
- Kill any of the slaves on the upper decks.
Optional - Work Camp Edit
- On the left edge of the map is a work camp where slaves break down a shipwreck. Killing or knocking out all the bandits in the camp gives a point.
Get Water Edit
- In the mission to acquire water, not harming the slaves will earn a point once the player has pulled the lever to open the gate. The slaves turning the big wheel will pretend nothing happened if you kill the guard watching them.
- There is a cage on the ground level at the back of the camp with two prisoners inside, breaking the lock by either shooting it or hitting it will earn a point.
- Kill any of the slaves.
Note: Once Player has pulled the lever to open the gate and has received the moral point in this mission, the sound of a negative point may be played immediately after, although the screen does not dim and Corsair iCue lighting integration does not respond to this. It is unknown if this is a bug. If you do two steps mentioned above there is no sound of negative point played immediately after.
Oil Derrick Edit
- When going up towards the Baron on the oil derrick, knocking out a soldier harming his slave will earn a point. Be sure to knock him out when no one is looking at him otherwise the next point is impossible to acquire.
- Further up the stairs, a man is about to hurt his female slave. Knock him out to earn another point. (Note: this will cause the bandits to become hostile)
- Kill any of the slaves.
Note: When infiltrating the oil derrick, the first slave you come across will raise the alarm if he sees you kill or knock anyone out.
- Just after Artyom finds the note on the arrow, straight ahead there is a bandit tied to a pole with a goat's skull and two candles. Kill the wolf he is fighting off and untie him to earn a point.
Note: Taking too much time will cause the bandit to be killed by the wolf, rendering this point unobtainable.
- Kill the bandit after saving him.
Pirate Outpost Edit
- Sneaking through the Pirate guard post without killing anyone will earn a point once the player crosses a zipline at the top of the bell tower.
Note: This camp is difficult to stealth due to that pirate repeating "Get 'em maties" which alerts everyone even when you are not visible.
Pioneer Camp Edit
- Sneaking past the camp without killing anyone just after retrieving Artyom's backpack will earn a point once the player has crossed a zipline at the end of the camp.
- Kill non-hostile Pioneers.
Optional - Bandit Camp Edit
- Once the bandits are dealt with, free the captured Pioneer in the biggest house at the center of the camp. Note that you need to kill all the bandits before you can free him. There are 2 bandits at a perimeter guard post that are quite far from the main camp also need to be killed. Knocking the bandits out will also work.
- Kill the captured Pioneer.
Swamp Camp Edit
- After meeting up with Olga, there is a pirate camp where you need to get the boat from. A stealthy approach with only knocking out enemies will grant a point after you've left the camp on the boat.
Note: Earning this point is incredibly difficult during the day, since there are only a few paths into it and all are heavily guarded.
- Kill the Admiral